Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Deceptively Delicious




By now I am sure you have all heard of Jesscia Seinfeld's new cookbook. I have tried several of the recipes and just wanted to jot down my thoughts. First of all don't try to prepare the purees with your kids around. You really should set some time aside in the evening to plan out your meals and then cook your vegetables. If you are doing it for the first time you will probably need about 2 hours. I just used my Magic Bullet to make the purees, but I would really recommend a food processor. My blender didn't work that great either. I love the idea of adding these purees to your recipes not only for my kids, but for me and Corbin too. We always feel better when we are eating healthy.




  1. Chicken Nuggets-I used the broccoli puree for this one, but I think I may try it with the spinach puree next time. It says to cook the nuggets in olive oil, but I found this very messy and the chicken was burning before it was fully cooked. Next time I'm going to leave the chicken as tenders instead of cutting them into nuggets and I'm going to bake them in the oven.


  2. Macaroni & Cheese 1-This was by far my kids favorite! Corbin and I loved it too and I was so excited to finally use my macaroni shells from my food storage. I will definitely make this again. It was so yummy!


  3. Grilled cheese sandwiches-Okay, Ella loved this one, but Elise took one bite and said, "Mom these grilled cheeses taste funny". I would maybe consider not adding as much puree of squash to this one and I'm sure it would taste better. I thought it was very good.


  4. Sloppy Joes-I have to say that I was very proud of my family on this one. I used ground Turkey, which is something that we have never tried and my kids really like it. I think serving it in a whole wheat hot dog bun helped. Next time I'm going to make it with ground beef, but I was happy that they ate it.


  5. Chocolate Chip Cookies-I took my friend Jennie's advice and substituted for 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and these turned out really good. Elise kept asking if she could have one and I would say, "Yes, have as many as you want." These are made with chick peas and you would never know it. They really taste like a protein bar. They are very good!


  6. Banana Bread-This I loved. I hate bananas, but love banana bread.




2 comments:

Katherine said...

What a great idea to pass along these tips. I just bought this book for my sister-in-law (to use on my brother as much as my nephew!) and now I'm going to have to pass along your tips to her.
Thanks.

Unknown said...

Awesome! I have the book, but have not done much with it. I was going to start using it soon and trying every recipe. :) Thanks for the tips.